Skip to main content

What is Scripture to You?



Psalms 119:105 (KJV):  Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Recently, in a local fellowship, in a corporate meeting; Sunday School I was told that:  “I don’t like it when you read scripture.”  There were six in attendance, not one of the five gave support to the reading of scripture.  I was also accused of my own interpretation and it wasn’t appreciated either.  I followed with “all I did was read, I made no comment.”  “Well whatever I don’t like it, I want to hear what the teacher has to say and not what you read.”

Scripture is what we must base all our faith in and what doctrines it establishes for the church today: “If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:”.  Church being the body of Christ spoken of by Paul,  and not the physical building or meeting place.  

“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
2 Timothy 3:16-17

“So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
Romans 10:17

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men.”  John 1:1-4

“And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.”  2 Peter 3:15-16

Other verses that should be read and understood concerning God’s “Word” : 1 Corinthians 1:17, 2:4, 2:13; 2 Corinthians 2:17, 4:2, 5:19;  Ephesians 1:13, 3:3, 5:6, 5:26, 6:17;  Philippians 2:16;  Colossians 1:5, 1:25, 3:16-17;  1 Thessalonians 2:13;  2 Thessalonians 3:14;  1 Timothy 4:6, 6:3-4,  2 Timothy 1:13, 2:15, 4:2;  Titus 1:3, 9.  Those are from Paul’s epistles to us in this, “the dispensation of the grace of God.”

I believe and have said in the past that the most valuable possession I have, in this world, is my Bible, God’s “Word” in print to me.  To quote Paul in defense for me to say that I will have you to read:  “The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments.”  2 Timothy 4:13.    “especially the parchments”  what were parchments?  God’s written word.  So in loving, believing and wanting most of all God’s written word I’m not in bad company concerning Paul’s admonition.  For someone to say to me that my reading of scripture is offensive and that they don’t want to hear a reading from scripture, are to me reprobate and without conscience.  

Those of that mindset are to me as Paul speaks of:  “Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample. (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.) For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:" 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Was he saved? How?

  “The heart  is  deceitful above all  things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?”J eremiah 17:9   “ He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully.” Psalm 24:4   All scripture references are taken from the Authorized (King James) Versions unless other wise noted. There was a man who once lived alone, he was what is often called a hermit a vagabond.   He had never been told of God, Jesus or the gospel as given from the Bible. He knew in his heart, that there was something, something outside himself, something was needed to make himself complete.   Several years previously while scrounging and looking for anything useful he discovered a Bible.   He put it away, safely where he lived and forgot about it.   Some years later there was a harsh winter storm, frozen deep snow had completely shut him in.   Although secure in his abode and safe from the destructive winter he would survive.   He had no electricit

Concluding then?

 I  have been doing these on this platform for now on 4 years.  Before I used other platforms since 2010 or thereabouts.  I have never had one question and only one comment in all those years.  I did have one correction when one reader observed that I had referenced 1 Corinthians when actually I should have used 2 Corinthians, that was about six or seven years ago.    I now place my thoughts and understandings on Facebook  In His service;   James Brown    

Why the "authorized" KJV?

"Wherefore art thou  red in thine apparel, and thy garments like him that treadeth in the winefat."  Isaiah 63:2 [in context read 63:1-6]  " A certain man planted a vineyard, and set a hedge about it , and digged a place for the winefat,"  Mark 12:1b and c.   While listening to a recent TV minister I observed what I thought at the time a miss-spelling in the text of the Bible I currently use, in which I have found several.  It's a King James Version "Authorized", and have often wondered what's the difference between the given as "authorized" and the other not.   After some research and consideration, I saw this.  Thinking it was a textural error I checked several other KJV authorized and non-authorized finding they all used the word winevat.  But the authorized used both "vat" and "fat".  So why the disparity in the spelling and only used in those two places in scripture? To me, it was getting interesting.  I have lear