Skip to main content

Too Believe or obey



05-11-18

Romans 6:16 (KJV):  “Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death or of obedience unto righteousness?”

Some if not most may be confused with these two words: believe and obey.  To obey, there is a necessity to know and understand what is to be obeyed and why; if not why at least the ramifications if one doesn’t obey as seen in:  “For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”  Romans 6:23.  No man this side of the grave understands “death” or “eternal life” (in that passage) to it’s fullest until experienced, thus it is by faith, trust and hope not obeying.  One can’t obey if one is ignorant of what is to be obeyed, but not so with faith, trust and hope.  Whereas with belief there isn’t a requirement to know why.  Belief encompasses trust and hope.  Dictionaries incorporate trust and belief as synonymous, to a degree but hope isn’t mentioned.  Why does Christianity include hope with trust and belief?  “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.”  Hebrews 11:1.  “(for we walk by faith, not by sight:)”  2 Corinthians 5:7.  In those passages, hope and faith (belief and trust) are brought together making them all one, of the context to what is being stated.  Same with obey but if one is not knowledgeable about the whole of verse, chapter, book & testament of the whole of scripture one gets into trouble with his understandings.

If one obeys is one then operating in belief, trust and hope?  No; the motivation of obeying is if one doesn’t obey there are repercussions for not obeying, again, Romans 6:23.  On earth, I obeyed my Dad out of fear of what would be the result if I didn’t.  That was always based on past experiences before even being able to remember.  But believing, trusting and hoping can be separate from past experience.  Again my believing, trusting and hoping in what my Dad had said was based on, again, past experiences; not far different with us in light of God’s written “Word”:  “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”  Romans 10:17.  “For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.”  Romans 15:4.  Remember what faith is as given in Hebrews 11:1.  “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.” 2 Timothy 2:16-17.  


So then I ask is one saved by obeying the gospel:  “But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?”  Romans 10:16.  Or on the other hand is one saved by believing the gospel?  “Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;  by which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.  For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;  and that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:”  1 Corinthians 15:1-4.  

I have often in the past stated, “I don’t have to understand, I don’t have to comprehend; But God does require that I believe Him.”  So do I respond to His calling out of fear that if I don’t and will go into Hell, then the Lake of Fire”  or do I respond from a point of His love to me and in return love Him:
“We love him, because he first loved us.”  1 John 4:19.  And “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.”  Galatians 2:20


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Todays gospel that saves

Psalms 119:105 (KJV):   “Thy word  is  a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.” What I would direct your attention too is “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet,”   Most people I speak within the recent past concerning the King James Version (KJV). are anti-KJV.   Reasons given for disliking the KJV are varied but most comments pertain to being hard to understand due to antiquated language.   Also, questionable resources used to translate and wording which lacks flow as is common in today's language.   In that same way, I find few who still use the KJV are of such a mind to those opponents of the KJV.   I personally haven’t any issue with those who refuse to consider the KJV, but do ask them to give credible reasons for denying the legitimacy of KJV; when pressured haven’t heard a reasonable excuse as not to even try the KJV but will go on the defensive and most often become agitated at the questions. When one ...

Which Body?

  2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things  done  in  his  body, according to that he hath done, whether  it be  good or bad. Ephesians 4:4 There is  one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; The word “body” has many definitions.   In 2 Corinthians 5:10, Strong’s #4983 defines body as “used in a very wide application”. First look at 2 Corinthians 5:10, and remove the italics.   Italics are not scripture but an addition made by the King James translators to make the flow of or the reading of easier.   So, without the italics;   “ For we must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things in body, according to that he hath done, whether good or bad.   My question was how do I define this word “body”.   Is it the physical body or as per Ephesians 4:4a; “...

Keeping it secret, why?

1 Corinthians 4:15 [AKJV]:   " For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet  have ye  not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel." What in the world does that mean, many instructors and few fathers?   What was the Holy Spirit through Paul telling us?   Later in this same letter, Paul would write:   "If any man think himself to be a prophet, or  spiritual , let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord."   1 Corinthians 14:37.   That the things that Paul would write were commandments of the Lord, that they were of and from the now risen Christ.   Elsewhere concerning the giving of the gospel wrote:   "But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.   For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught  it , but by the revelation of Jesus Christ."   Galatians 1:11-1...