Skip to main content

Thankfulness; are we?



1 Thessalonians 5:18 (KJV):  “In every thing give thanks:  for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.”

Got up this morning, looked at the clock, which I could see because its backlit in design.  Went to the bathroom/restroom, turned on the lights, not just one but five at a flip of the switch.  Twisted the left handle on the sink and in a few minutes had hot, not just luke or warm but hot water gushing out.  Rinsed my teeth (artificial) and installed them as to facilitate chewing/eating, having more than enough of.  Got dressed in clean clothes that were washed in a machine and later also dried the same.  Shut off the lights there and continued to the kitchen, again turning on, this time, six lights really brightening the room.  Heated up the coffee pot, went to the refrigerator, took the frozen grounds out and prepared for the brewing.  Got my cup and filled with hot water to remove the chill.  Flipped another switch to start the process and in a few moments had steaming hot coffee.  

But today was different; I was made aware of all the blessing in a few moments of living here in America, at this time with all these conveniences at a touch.  Not once or rarely even conscious of them thru out the day.  These are merely physical earthly pleasures to be embraced.  But what about the spiritual aspect of our daily lives.  Here are a few as taken from scripture for us to be mindful of throughout our daily experiences and the working out of one's duties.  

“If he offer it for a thanksgiving, then he shall offer with the sacrifice of thanksgiving unleavened cakes mingled with oil, and unleavened wafers anointed with oil, and cakes mingled with oil, of fine flour, fried.  Besides the cakes, he shall offer for his offering leavened bread with the sacrifice of thanksgiving of his peace offerings.”  Leviticus 7:12-13; first mention.

“Therefore I will give thanks unto thee, O Lord, among the heathen, and I will sing praises unto thy name.”  2 Samuel 22:50

“Therefore will I give thanks unto thee, O Lord, among the heathen, and sing praises unto thy name.   That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works.  Sing unto the Lord, O ye saints of his, and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness.  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and will call upon the name of the Lord.  Psalms 18:49, 26:7, 30:4, 100:4, 116:17.  

But then in the new testament, after the cross, death, burial, and resurrection; the difference:

“But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.”  1 Corinthians 15:57

“Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place.  For the administration of this service not only supplieth the want of the saints, but is abundant also by many thanksgivings unto God;   2 Corinthians 2:14, 9:12

“Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;”  Ephesians 5:20

“Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:  Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.  And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.  Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving;   Colossians 1:12, 2:7, 3:17, 4:2

“I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;” 1 Timothy 2:1


Thanks and thanksgiving are used some 100x’s in the scripture.  30 times in Psalms.  There mentioned with mercy but not grace.  Of salvation often but not in light of as us today in this dispensation of the grace of God.  They in “times past” look forward to that time of salvation being made manifest, “but now” the truth of grace is made known to all men:  “For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,” Titus 2:11.  That then being is brought to those who will believe:  “ For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast.”  Ephesians 2:8-9.  That grace then is given when one exercises faith in what God has said, showing the gospel that saves:  “Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; by which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;  and that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:”  1 Corinthians 15:1-4.  

Believe the gospel and be saved, not only “to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come” 1 Thessalonians 1:10;  “but these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing  (in His death, burial, and resurrection) ye might have life through his name.

Let us have, give us a thankful heart and praise You in all, all You have done on or behalf.  There should never be a time in a believers life where one isn’t thankful to God for all His mighty works on our behalf.  Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Todays gospel that saves

Psalms 119:105 (KJV):   “Thy word  is  a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.” What I would direct your attention too is “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet,”   Most people I speak within the recent past concerning the King James Version (KJV). are anti-KJV.   Reasons given for disliking the KJV are varied but most comments pertain to being hard to understand due to antiquated language.   Also, questionable resources used to translate and wording which lacks flow as is common in today's language.   In that same way, I find few who still use the KJV are of such a mind to those opponents of the KJV.   I personally haven’t any issue with those who refuse to consider the KJV, but do ask them to give credible reasons for denying the legitimacy of KJV; when pressured haven’t heard a reasonable excuse as not to even try the KJV but will go on the defensive and most often become agitated at the questions. When one ...

Which Body?

  2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things  done  in  his  body, according to that he hath done, whether  it be  good or bad. Ephesians 4:4 There is  one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; The word “body” has many definitions.   In 2 Corinthians 5:10, Strong’s #4983 defines body as “used in a very wide application”. First look at 2 Corinthians 5:10, and remove the italics.   Italics are not scripture but an addition made by the King James translators to make the flow of or the reading of easier.   So, without the italics;   “ For we must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things in body, according to that he hath done, whether good or bad.   My question was how do I define this word “body”.   Is it the physical body or as per Ephesians 4:4a; “...

Keeping it secret, why?

1 Corinthians 4:15 [AKJV]:   " For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet  have ye  not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel." What in the world does that mean, many instructors and few fathers?   What was the Holy Spirit through Paul telling us?   Later in this same letter, Paul would write:   "If any man think himself to be a prophet, or  spiritual , let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord."   1 Corinthians 14:37.   That the things that Paul would write were commandments of the Lord, that they were of and from the now risen Christ.   Elsewhere concerning the giving of the gospel wrote:   "But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.   For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught  it , but by the revelation of Jesus Christ."   Galatians 1:11-1...