Skip to main content

What is Scripture to You?



Psalms 119:105 (KJV):  “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Recently, in a local fellowship, in a corporate meeting; Sunday School I was told that:  “I don’t like it when you read scripture.”  There were six in attendance, not one of the five gave support to the reading of scripture.  I was also accused of my own interpretation and it wasn’t appreciated either.  I followed with “all I did was read, I made no comment.”  “Well whatever I don’t like it, I want to hear what the teacher has to say and not what you read.”

Scripture is what we must base all our faith in and what doctrines it establishes for the church today: “If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:”.  Church being the body of Christ spoken of by Paul,  and not the physical building or meeting place.  

“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
2 Timothy 3:16-17

“So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
Romans 10:17

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men.”  John 1:1-4

“And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.”  2 Peter 3:15-16

Other verses that should be read and understood concerning God’s “Word” : 1 Corinthians 1:17, 2:4, 2:13; 2 Corinthians 2:17, 4:2, 5:19;  Ephesians 1:13, 3:3, 5:6, 5:26, 6:17;  Philippians 2:16;  Colossians 1:5, 1:25, 3:16-17;  1 Thessalonians 2:13;  2 Thessalonians 3:14;  1 Timothy 4:6, 6:3-4,  2 Timothy 1:13, 2:15, 4:2;  Titus 1:3, 9.  Those are from Paul’s epistles to us in this, “the dispensation of the grace of God.”

I believe and have said in the past that the most valuable possession I have, in this world, is my Bible, God’s “Word” in print to me.  To quote Paul in defense for me to say that I will have you to read:  “The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments.”  2 Timothy 4:13.    “especially the parchments”  what were parchments?  God’s written word.  So in loving, believing and wanting most of all God’s written word I’m not in bad company concerning Paul’s admonition.  For someone to say to me that my reading of scripture is offensive and that they don’t want to hear a reading from scripture, are to me reprobate and without conscience.  

Those of that mindset are to me as Paul speaks of:  “Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample. (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.) For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:" 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping it secret, why?

1 Corinthians 4:15 [AKJV]:   " For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet  have ye  not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel." What in the world does that mean, many instructors and few fathers?   What was the Holy Spirit through Paul telling us?   Later in this same letter, Paul would write:   "If any man think himself to be a prophet, or  spiritual , let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord."   1 Corinthians 14:37.   That the things that Paul would write were commandments of the Lord, that they were of and from the now risen Christ.   Elsewhere concerning the giving of the gospel wrote:   "But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.   For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught  it , but by the revelation of Jesus Christ."   Galatians 1:11-1...

Todays gospel that saves

Psalms 119:105 (KJV):   “Thy word  is  a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.” What I would direct your attention too is “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet,”   Most people I speak within the recent past concerning the King James Version (KJV). are anti-KJV.   Reasons given for disliking the KJV are varied but most comments pertain to being hard to understand due to antiquated language.   Also, questionable resources used to translate and wording which lacks flow as is common in today's language.   In that same way, I find few who still use the KJV are of such a mind to those opponents of the KJV.   I personally haven’t any issue with those who refuse to consider the KJV, but do ask them to give credible reasons for denying the legitimacy of KJV; when pressured haven’t heard a reasonable excuse as not to even try the KJV but will go on the defensive and most often become agitated at the questions. When one ...

Sin; what sin?

Romans 6:14a [Authorized King James Version]:   "For sin shall not have dominion over you:"   So then if sin "shall not" it has to be a conscious decision to do or not to do.   The more knowledge one has of God's Word the less apt one is to sin, exercise unbelief: " And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:   Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;   Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged." John 16:8-11.   Verse 9 states that the sin, the worlds sin [from verse 8] is unbelief in Him and of His death, burial and resurrection (DBR) for the payment of ones sin.   That is the gospel that is presented for salvation now!   " If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:" Ephesians 3:2.   "But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye...